A cylindrical brass telescope, bound with brown leather around the body of the telescope, and with a brass cap and brass eye peice. The eyepiece is of a slightly smaller diameter than the body of the telescope.
Used by John Collinson Close, an 'assistant collector' on the Australasian Antarctic Expedition of 1911-14, led by Douglas Mawson.
John Collinson Close collection
The John Collinson Close collection dates from the 'heroic era' of Antarctic exploration, perhaps the last great period of geographical discovery on Earth. It demonstrates key events in a story that led to Australia's claim over 42% of the continent. Linked to this story, and to this collection, are simultaneous ties to the old notions of Empire and the assertion of a new national identity. Close's private letters and journalism reveal the contrast between the personal experiences of a lesser-known expeditioner and a venture, overshadowed by a mythologised leader, now abstracted into the national memory and imagination.User