Landau known as 'The Ranken Coach'
Horse drawn coaches
Wooden horse-drawn coach, painted black, with four wheels and mudguards. Hinged doors to left and right, and fold-out steps. Interior with padded, leather-covered bench seats facing front and back. Coachman's seat mounted exterior, front.
Collection statement of significance
Royal Australian Historical Society collection no. 1
The 'Royal Australian Historical Society collection no. 1' consists of a Cobb & Company (?) 'Concord' coach (including swingle trees, travelling trunk and supporting archival documents) which was used to transport mail and passengers across the Liverpool plains during the 1880s. This collection also includes an early nineteenth-century landau known as the 'Ranken Coach', which was first owned by George Ranken, a prosperous Scot who settled in Bathurst during the 1820s. It is believed to be one of the oldest surviving horsedrawn vehicles in Australia.
This collection demonstrates the important role horse-drawn vehicles played in Australia's transport and communications history. As representative of both prestigious vehicles used for recreation and as a reflection of status as well as the vital role played by coaches in establishing communication systems across the country, these rare examples offer significant research potential in an examination of nineteenth-century transport, engineering and society.
Place madeScotlandDate made
UserMr George Ranken
Imported the coach for his personal useUserMr Sebastian Hodge
Undertaker who acquired the coach from Ranken in 1861UserMr W S. Hodge
Undertaker who acquired the coach in the 1880s and used it for forty yearsCollectorRoyal Australian Historical Society
Acquired the coach in the 1925Place of useBathurst, New South Wales, AustraliaAssociated placeScotlandPeriod of use
1821 - 1980
Wood, Leather, Iron
Back | New search
| Send us feedback on this object