Audio on demand
The Melbourne Cup: Is it all about the gamble?
Dr Chris McConville, social historian
Heart of Australian Racing: The Melbourne Cup, 13 August 2010
Dr Chris McConville combines his great interest in horse racing with his expertise on the history of gambling in Australia to talk the Melbourne Cup from a gambling point of view.
Heart of Australian Racing: The Melbourne Cup
- Welcome to ‘The Heart of Australian Racing: the Melbourne Cup’ symposiumBryan Martin, racing broadcaster and Andrew Sayers, National Museum of Australia
- 150th running of the Melbourne Cup: special eventsRod Fitzroy, Victoria Racing Club
- The Melbourne Cup: what it means to me and what it means to AustraliaAndrew Peacock, co-owner of Leilani, winner of the 1974 Caulfield Cup
- Where does the Melbourne Cup belong in Australian culture - and why has it endured?Louise Douglas and Carol Cooper, National Museum of Australia
- The Melbourne Cup: Is it all about the gamble?Dr Chris McConville, social historian
- The Melbourne Cup: Why has it endured into the twenty-first century? Good luck or good management?Rod Fitzroy, Chairman, Victoria Racing Club
- The Melbourne Cup: why?Dr Andrew Lemon, Victoria Racing Club
- What the Melbourne Cup means to meWendy Green, Sheila Laxon, Mark de Mestre and John Letts in conversation with Bryan Martin
- On the Punt: Chance, racing and the horse in Australian life and cultureBob Charley, Fiona Carruthers, Alan Eskander and Geoff Slattery in conversation with James Warden